Ragging is legally banned. It is punishable offence. In view of the increasing number of events of ragging, the university grants commission has passed the "UGC Regulations on Curbing the Menace of Ragging in Higher Educational Institutions, 2009".
Ragging is any conducted by any student or students whether by words spoken or written or by an act which has the effect of teasing, treating or handling with rudeness a fresher or any other student or indulging in rowdy or in-disciplined activities by any student or students which causes or is likely to cause annoyance, hardship, physical or psychological harm or to raise fear or apprehension thereof in any fresher or any other student or asking any student to do any act which such student will not in the ordinary course do and which has the effect of causing or generating a sense of shame, or torment or embarrassment so as to adversely affect the physique or psyche of such fresher or any other student with or without an intent to derive a sadistic pleasure or showing off power, authority or superiority by a student over any fresher or any other student.
The Anti-Ragging Committee may, depending on the nature and gravity of the guilt established by the Anti-Ragging Squad, award, to those found guilty, one or more of the following punishments, namely;
1) Suspension from attending classes and academic privileges.
2) Withholding / withdrawing scholarship / fellowship and other benefits.
3) Debarring from appearing in any test / examination or other evaluation process.
4) Withholding results. Debarring from representing the institution in any regional, national or international meet, tournament, youth festival, etc.
5) Suspension / expulsion from the hostel.
6) Cancellation of admission.
7) Rustication from the institution for period ranging from one to four semesters.
8) Expulsion from the institution and consequent debarring from admission to any other institution for a specified period.
Provided that where the persons committing or abetting the act of ragging are not identified, the institution shall resort to collective punishment.